I am crazy passionate and head over heels in love with engagement sessions. (especially amazing Aspen, Colorado…let’s-climb-a-mountain-and-lay-in- a-valley sessions)
During my consults, I really express to my clients how much value is stored up in their engagement session and why I think they are a must for all of my couples. Why do I do this?
1. It’s essential that you get used to being behind your wedding photographer’s camera before your big day. For most bride and grooms, the last photographer they were encountered with was their graduation photographer or possibly your last family shot at pro-ex. Most of the time grooms dread engagement sessions, because they remember feeling completely akward back in high school in front of the camera. I want to break that mold at the engagement session. I want my couples to know we are going to have fun. You are going to laugh at me. You are going to laugh at each other. We will get to know each other more and you’ll see how I do what I do. I want each of my clients to not worry one tiny bit about how pictures are going to go, how they should stand or what they should do with their hands. I want them to see me on their wedding day as an old friend coming to make them do that “weird laugh and walk thing” or the” act like it’s cold outside and hug up on each other” thing. I want my flow and direction to feel like old hat. Easy Peasy.
2. It’s a free date night. Here you are all looking pretty and having to hold hands, smooch and stare into each others eyes. How often to you actually rub noses or squeeze your someone? Soak each other in! We are all so busy these days, alone time with the ones we love is priceless I als0 encourage my couples to go somewhere after our session even if it’s just for coffee and enjoy themselves.
3. Use it as a trial run. This mention is more for my brides than the beaus. This is a great time to try out your make up or do a test run with your hair before the wedding. Here you can try a couple things and see what looks best in photos. It truly helps to meet with your stylists and to get comfortable with them too (just like number 1) You could also test out attire or shoes to see what feels best.
4. You are creating your own art. I know this might sound ridiculously cheesy, but if you put your heart and your authenticity into your engagement session you are creating art that represents you as a couple. I love nothing more than collaborating with couples and coming up with concepts that come from their everyday. Whether it be wrestling, hiking mountains, your puppy. These images are timeless because they define you.
5. Because they are just stinkin fun. Everyone has a unique story and my favorite thing to do is listen to you both and come up with something that resonates with your real life and your hearts. We are always having a good time, because you are typically doing things that you love with the one that you love. Win. Win. I promise.
PS. So excited for Making Things Happen 2012 Atlanta class today!
PSS. I have a secret hopes of shooting an engagement session at their favorite team’s college football game and being right in the middle of a huge fan crazy crow and I would also love to shoot on a sailboat. Preferably in Greece, but anywhere in the states is fine too. Fun. So if you are in. I’m in.